The ‘Happier, healthier, longer’ lesson pack from Movember is designed to increase students’ understanding of issues relating to men’s and boys’ health — specifically exploring testicular cancer and mental health, and the PSHE Association has just granted it their Quality Mark for PSHE education resources.
These free-to-download lessons encourage students to challenge preconceptions about men’s health, both physical and mental, while providing the skills to discuss sensitive issues and access health services when necessary. Although focusing on men’s health, the lessons have been carefully designed to be inclusive for all students. Lessons aim to:
- Challenge misconceptions about men’s health and identify common issues
- Explain the importance of carrying out testicular self-examination
- Identify a range of strategies to support mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Provide factual health information on testicular cancer and guidance on self-examination
- Improve confidence to access health services and seek support when necessary
The health education aspect of PSHE will be mandatory from 2020 and schools will be expected to cover mental health, emotional wellbeing, cancer and self-examination, so these resources provide timely support to do so effectively. Though launched to coincide with Movember, they can be used at any time throughout the year.